With some areas seeing mail delays, the IRS has reminded taxpayers to double-check before filing a tax return to make sure they have all their tax documents, including Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, and Forms 1099. Many of these forms may be available online. However, when other options are not available, taxpayers who have not received a W-2 or Form 1099, or who received an incorrect W-2 or 1099, should contact the employer, payer, or issuing agency directly to request the documents before filing their 2020 tax returns.

Taxpayers who are unable to reach the employer, payer, or issuing agency, or who cannot otherwise get copies or corrected copies of their Forms W-2 or 1099, must still file their tax return on time by the April 15 deadline (or October 15, if requesting an automatic extension). They may need to use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. to avoid filing an incomplete or amended return. If the taxpayer does not receive the missing or corrected form in time to file their return by the April 15 deadline, they can estimate their wages or payments made to them, as well as any taxes withheld.

If the taxpayer receives the missing or corrected form after filing and the information differs from their previous estimate, the taxpayer must file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Unemployment Benefits

Taxpayers who receive an incorrect Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, for unemployment benefits they did not receive should contact the issuing state agency to request a revised Form 1099-G showing they did not receive these benefits. Taxpayers who are unable to obtain a timely, corrected form should still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income they received.